Advanced Typography - Project 1B

ADVANCED TYPOGRAPHY - PROJECT 1B

30/09/20 - 28/10/20 / Week 6 - Week 10

Ibrahim Fazal Ahmad / 0337423
Advanced Typography / Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media / Taylors University

Project 1B /  Key Artwork & Collateral

 LECTURES 

-


INSTRUCTIONS      

Project 1B:

After finishing the final design, I moved onto making the posters for Project 1B. I made multiple layouts experimenting with the different typographical systems we learned in Week 1 of this semester. For my first design, I tried going with an axial system due to its simplicity and straightforward usage.

Figure 1.: Poster 1 Axial (04/10/20) 

Figure 1.01: Poster 2 Modular (04/10/20)

Figure 1.03:Poster 3 Dilatational (04/10/20)

Figure 1.04: Poster 4 Axial (04/10/20)

After my feedback session,  I tried reworking a design quickly to see if the direction I was headed in was a good one for me. I ended up with my fifth design just before class ended: 

Figure 1.05: Poster 5 (07/10/20)


The poster had too many non-objective elements according to Mr. Vinod and I was told to continue experimenting and working with my designs. Honestly, I felt a little lost after this, so I spent a lot more time exploring designs first before I tried making a new poster.

Figure 1.06 Poster 5 (07/10/20)



I direct messaged Mr Vinod and received some feedback about the design. It felt a little heavy on the left and also lacked some dynamism according to him. With the given feedback I made the amendments to the design in two versions. I continued with the modular system, with 3 columns and 5 rows. 

For the first version (Poster 6) , I balanced out the information to be on both sides rather than one, along with the non-objective elements as well. While adding some horizontal non-objective rectangles to add a bit more movement and flow to the information. 

Figure 1.07: Poster 6 (12/10/20)

For my second variation (Poster 7), I took the same design and tilted it slightly to give the illusion of movement a little better. However, I felt this made the design feel confusing. After showing it to some of my friends and family in real life, they commented it made them feel almost dizzy by looking at the design. With their opinions in mind along with mine, I ended up choosing Poster 6 (Figure 1.21) as my final work.

Figure 1.08: Poster 7 (12/10/20)


Figure 1.09: Final Poster (13/10/20)

Figure 1.1: Collateral Poster FINAL PDF(12/10/20) 

Now we moved onto project 1B, in which we need to create an animated invite for our event along with 3 other items of collateral such as shirts, hats or totebags. Here is my finalised poster design: 

After my design had been figured out, I moved onto my animation for the invite. Firstly, I did a really rough storyboard of what I wanted on paper so I knew what I was going to do. Though it isn't very understandable to others, I will show it anyway.

Figure 1.11: Animation Storyboard (12/10/20)

After deciding on a rough idea for my animation, I used Adobe Animate to animate this as I am rather familiar with the program and know how to use it. I used motion tweening for the movements done and it was at 30fps (Automatic preset). 

Figure 1.12: Adobe Animate timeline (13/10/20)

After figuring out everything I exported the first version of my animated invite.


Figure 1.13: First Invite (13/10/20)

 However, I felt the timing felt a little awkward and fast-paced especially in the beginning when the two rectangles extend out and leave the shot. Which I then amended in my second version:

Figure 1.14: Second Invite (13/10/20)

Even with the fixes, I felt that the beginning was a little awkward with the two rectangles just leaving the screen, it felt weird to me. So I decided to change that in my third version, which ended up being my final version for now until criticism from Mr Vinod. 

Figure 1.15:Third Invite (12/10/20)

In the final invite, I changed it so the rectangles, in the beginning, would become thinner and would disappear rather than fly off the page, as it honestly disorientated me when watching the original animations after fixing it. 

After the feedback session, I was told that the animation is fine but it could be improved upon as usual. Particularly in the information, all of it comes out in one chunk, I was told I could try and make it more digestible for the audience. With that, I decided to change the animation but keep to the general idea of my first variations.

Figure 1.16:Final Invite (21/10/20)




After finishing my invite, I moved onto my next collaterals, being a t-shirt, tote bag and coffee cup. 

Honestly, finding proper images was the most difficult part of this assignment. I had a few designs in mind but finding a proper image to use that was high quality and consistent was hard. I did the tote bag design first. 


Figure 1.17: Tote bag front (13/10/20)

Figure 1.18: Tote bag back (13/10/20)


Figure 1.19: T-shirt (13/10/20)


Figure 1.2: Mug (13/10/20)

Since classes were not held as it was Independent Learning Week, we had to post our designs on Facebook, though sir wanted to hold a class he and Mr. Asrizal were both busy. With the feedback I received, I had to redo my designs. I was being uncreative and plain, my designs were just blown-up versions of my collateral and tilted slightly. 

With the feedback in mind, I redid my designs trying to be more creative and include different elements of Bauhaus Design while keeping the design playful and fun. I was inspired by the "Memphis patterns" for this.

Figure 1.1: Mug (16/10/20)

Figure 1.21: Mug (16/10/20)

Figure 1.22: Mug (16/10/20)




With these designs in mind, I created some more collaterals after looking through some event collateral catalogues and designs. 


Figure 1.23: Totebag Front (16/10/20)

Figure 1.24: Totebag Back (16/10/20)

Figure 1.25: Business Card (16/10/20)

Figure 1.26: Billboard (16/10/20)

After receiving my feedback, I was told the design on the totebag seemed fine, however, there was no use of a business card and my billboard had too little information. However, I really liked the theme I had on my business cards and decided to try and reuse the designs in the form of tickets. I had created a ticket for Taylor's Hallyu Festival 2019, looking back at it now, it is really bad in terms of typography and hierarchy of information, to be honest. But I did use it to see what information was present. 

Figure 1.27: Ticket Design 2019//By Me (16/10/20)

Figure 1.28: Mockup Ticket Design (16/10/20)

Here are my improved designs. For the totebag, I added the name of the event taking place on the key art work
I took elements from my business card and reused them into the form of a ticket. I also changed the design for the billboard to include the key artwork.

Figure 1.29: Totebag Front (17/10/20)

Figure 1.3: Totebag Back (17/10/20)

Figure 1.31: Tickets (17/10/20)

Figure 1.32: Tickets (17/10/20)


Figure 1.33: Billboard (17/10/20)

Mr. Vinod did not reply, however, I was left on read. I can only assume something was wrong so I changed the tickets once again as I realized the non-objective elements were a bit too loud and there were some alignment issues as well. 

Figure 1.34: Tickets (19/10/20)

Figure 1.35: Tickets (19/10/20)

After the feedback I was just told to add more non-objective elements to the billboard and the front of my tote bag as they felt a little empty. The tickets are fine and no changes are required. 

Figure 1.36: Billboard (22/10/20)

Figure 1.37: Totebag (22/10/20)

Figure 1.38: Totebag (22/10/20)

Figure 1.39: Collateral Final PDF (22/10/20)

Figure 1.4: Animated Invite Final (22/10/20)



FEEDBACK

Week 7 // Project 1A: Out of all of my designs, Poster 4 is the most interesting design. However, the key artwork blends very easily into the rest of the graphical elements. Also for the key artwork, make the circle a little larger. I was also told the design feels a little lost. After reworking the design, I was told there are too many non-objective elements for my reworked design. 

After class, I direct messaged sir with another design, I was told: "It makes sense to use it that way. But it seems a little heavy on the left and lacks a little dynamism". I reworked the design into two more options and was told to choose one. After I chose one, I moved on to the rest of the collaterals.

Week 8//Project 1B: "text is not readable on phone? Or is it? Q and answer it yourself. Then decide to keep or change. The applications of the key art are not very imaginative. It’s like photocopying the logo on all the applications... doesn’t take a designer to do that."

"Who needs a business card for an event? Where is the key artwork in the backlit billboard? The use of graphical elements on the bag is fine, but how will anyone know what’s it for: the events name isn’t there, or date or venue... think."

Week 9//Project 1B: The collaterals are all fine, however, try adding more non-objective elements to the bag and billboard, as they currently look too empty. The animation is also fine, however, it can be improved on by making the information come out in sections, in a more digestible manner in comparison to how it is now.


REFLECTIONS:

Week 7: This week, we were tasked with making posters using our key artworks. Honestly, I thought it would be a little easier considering our first exercise was all about typographical layouts. Though I could apply the knowledge from that exercise, I felt very lost and unsure about my designs. The key artwork was an awkward size to work with, especially on an A3 sized canvas. I definitely have been struggling a more on Project 1 in comparison to my exercises. However, that is apart of the learning process and I need to understand not everything I do will be completely perfect and I will make mistakes. One observation I made was that Bauhaus is extremely difficult to work with, it feels very hard to be completely original when you're somewhat limited to 3 shapes and 3 colours. But it does force out a lot of creativity in hopes of an original design. One finding I made was that Bauhaus concepts are still applied heavily around the world and was the basis to our understanding of modern art. 

Week 8: Honestly I was feeling frustrated this week, I was rather lost with my designs and I agree with my feedback, it was uninspired and quite frankly lazy looking designs I had originally come up with. No real idea behind it, after reworking it I got a little more comfortable with what I was doing, and the designs finally started shaping into something that wasn't totally boring. One observation I made was that most events have quite a lot of different types of collateral and not just 3, they also utilised their colours and theming really well in their designs. One finding I made was that Memphis designs are inspired by Bauhaus concepts.

Week 9: This week went much better, I felt like I had proper direction and also did some research about different problems for my final project and think I've found one I can continue with if approved. I am pretty happy with my collateral, I like the fun aspects inspired by Memphis designs in my collateral especially.  The animation is fine, however, it could be improved on significantly, rather than all the information coming in one shot, try and make it show up in a more digestible manner. It would be up to me whether I want to change my animation or not since it's fine but could be better. Seeing other classmates animations also allowed me to realise some errors I made in mine. Such as the information coming out in a bulk rather than digestible bits and pieces. One observation I made was that animations should be more digestible in its information, rather than all of it coming out in one go. One finding I made was that though most tickets are quite different in their designs, they all relatively contain the same information.

FURTHER READING

Vignelli Canon on Design // Pg 20-21 // Ambiguity:

Vignelli Canon – Rationale

Figure 1.41: Vignelli Canon on Design

Ambiguity in design is a rather sensitive idea. In the fact that it can easily cause your designs to look confusing and contradictory. However, the idea of ambiguity is also beautiful it how multiple people can hold different meanings from the artwork. How they can extract completely different understandings and meanings from a piece, whether that is intentional or not is the key in succeeding. If a design is meant to be seen in one way but can be seen in five rather confusing ways, then there was clearly an error done by the designer.

Vignelli Canon on Design // Pg 92-93 // White Space: 

Vignelli Canon – Rationale
Figure 1.42: Vignelli Canon on Design

In this, the author talks about white space in type and composition. It is described as a barrier between information, separating it and keeping balance within the page. It is just as, if not more important than the black of the type. There is a special relationship between the text and white space that needs to be carefully balanced to keep a nice composition for the readers. Things like type size, margins and organization of information all come into play when talking about the white space. It is extremely important and should never be neglected as a designer.


Comments

Popular Posts